10 Holiday Safety Tips for Your Home
Posted: December 13, 2021
Don’t Let an Accident Dampen Your Holiday Cheer
While the holiday season is cherished by many as “the most wonderful time of the year,” it does have a downside. Statistics show that the risk of injuries from falls, house fires, and serious burns increases dramatically during the month of December.
With that in mind, we hope you will review these 10 holiday safety tips.
- While candles add a nice touch to your holiday celebrations, flameless candles are a safer alternative while still providing soft lighting and holiday ambiance. It’s estimated that about one-third of the house fires that happen during the holidays can be traced to candles.
- To prevent falls, keep walkways and steps clear of ice and snow. This is always important, but especially if you’re expecting guests.
- Inspect holiday lights each year and discard any light sets that have frayed wires, bare spots or excessive kinking. All of these are warning signs that it is time for new light sets.
- If you have a real tree in your home, be sure it is always well watered and remove it when it becomes dry.
- Keep your tree at least three feet away from indoor heat sources (fireplaces, radiators, etc.)
- Check the batteries in smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors and make sure your portable fire extinguisher will operate if needed.
- When doing your holiday cooking, turn all pot handles toward the back of the stove so they can’t be reached by children.
- Roll up long sleeves when cooking.
- Keep a pot lid or cookie sheet nearby to cover a pan should it catch fire.
- Have a family escape plan should the worst happen.
On behalf of everyone at Wilson Oil and Propane, we wish you a very safe holiday season!
Reach Out to Us
Founded in 1926, Wilson Oil and Propane strives to provide excellent service to our customers every single day. In addition to prompt, professional expert HVAC services, heating oil and propane delivery, we offer our customers many ways to lower their energy costs and enhance their comfort.
Enter your zip code here to find out if you’re in our Service Area. Then become a customer by going here.