Stay Cool for Less This Summer With These 9 Tips
Posted: June 11, 2018
Nothing is much cooler than getting out of the heat and stepping into your air conditioned home during the summer. But enjoying all that comfort for less money is even cooler.
As we speed toward the official start of summer later this month, here are some simple tips that can help keep your home cool for less money.
- Set your thermostat as high as possible while maintaining comfort. Remember that the most important factor in feeling cool is not the actual temperature of the room, but the contrast between the hot air outside and the cool air inside the house. When it’s hot out, aim for an indoor temperature of about 78 degrees to get the best balance of comfort and cost effectiveness. If that sounds too high, read our next tip.
- Use a ceiling fan. A ceiling fan can make a room feel cooler just by moving air around, so when you use it together with air conditioning, you can set your thermostat higher than you normally would. The average ceiling fan uses about as much energy as a light bulb, so you can run one for just pennies a day.
- Invest in a smart programmable thermostat. You can automatically manage temperatures when your family isn’t home, which could save you $100 or more every year in energy costs. Read more about smart thermostats.
- Get shady with your air conditioner. A central A/C unit operating in the shade uses up to 10 percent less electricity than the same unit operating in the sun. Just be sure not to block its airflow.
- Clean up around your air conditioner. A/C condenser coils can become dirty and clogged, which makes your unit work harder to perform the same job. Clean the area around the condenser coil, removing debris and trimming foliage back at least two feet.
- Maintain your air conditioner. It’s easy to take your air conditioner for granted—until it stops working on the hottest day of the year. Regular maintenance will not only help identify potential problems, but will also increase the life and energy efficiency of your unit. An annual tune-up from Wilson will help keep you’re A/C running like clockwork, with complete diagnostic services that can keep minor issues from becoming expensive problems. Want an even better value? Sign up for an Air Conditioning Service Plan, which includes an annual tune-up, repair coverage, priority service and more.
- Clean or change your air filter regularly. This simple step will increase your air conditioner’s efficiency by as much as 10-15 percent and increase the lifespan of your system. Check your filter at least once during the summer—more during years with high-volume use.
- Consider getting your ducts sealed. It’s estimated that as much as 20% of the air you use to cool your home can escape through ductwork joints, elbows, and connections – especially in uncooled spaces such as attics, basements, or crawl spaces. A professional duct sealing will greatly minimize that cool air loss. Read more.
- If the time is right, consider an equipment upgrade. A new, high-efficiency air conditioner can save you 30 percent or more on your annual energy bills – enough to offset the cost of a new A/C in just a few years, especially when you consider manufacturer’s rebates, 0% financing, and other specials! Take a look at our current specials and then contact us today for more information.