Keep off the Grass: Steps to Protect Your A/C Unit When You Mow the Lawn
Posted: August 7, 2017
Every time you mow your lawn, there is a chance you could be affecting the operation of your central air conditioning unit. That’s because grass clippings, dust, pollen, and dirt are all stirred up during lawn maintenance. This debris then settles either on or inside your outdoor air conditioning unit, which compromises its performance.
Take these steps to protect your outdoor a/c unit, which will minimize inefficient operation and help you avoid potential breakdowns.
- When mowing the lawn, position the mower in a way that minimizes debris from getting blown toward the unit.
- Shutting off the a/c unit while mowing can help minimize debris from being drawn to the outdoor condenser.
- When you’re finished, rinse the outdoor unit by spraying with a garden hose for just a minute. Dirt, dust, pollen and grass clippings easily rinse away.
- Don’t block off your outside air conditioning unit with plants, shrubs or other objects. Make sure there is 18-30 inches of clear space around the unit to allow it to “breathe.” This helps it run more efficiently.
- Don’t stack anything on top of the unit either, like garden hoses or landscaping tools and products.
Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.