7 Tips to Save Energy and Money This Summer
Posted: July 17, 2017
A hot summer can lead to some not-so-cool electric bills. Here are tips that will help you keep your cool and save money too.
- Raise the temperature when A/C is not needed as much – Why cool the house if no one’s around to enjoy it or if everyone is asleep? Use your programmable thermostat to set day and night temperatures. Tip: with a smart thermostat, you can adjust the temperature for your cooling system from your mobile phone a few hours before you’re due to arrive back home.
- Maintain your A/C – Did you know the efficiency of your air conditioner could drop 5% or more in a single season if it’s not properly maintained? That costs money! Stay on top of routine annual maintenance by enrolling in a service plan. You should also check the condition of your air filters on a regular basis.
- Get a duct leakage inspection – Improperly installed or poorly maintained ducts can rob you of significant efficiency. You can lose one third or more of the cool air your A/C produces
before it ever reaches the vents! Duct sealing could be a great investment for you. Contact us about scheduling a FREE duct leakage inspection and our special summer offer on Aeroseal duct sealing. Read more here.
- Clear obstructions – Don’t cool your chair – cool the air! Rearrange your furniture to make sure it doesn’t block your A/C vents.
- Cool in moderation – Keeping your air conditioner at 78 degrees is a good starting point to balance performance and comfort. Remember: it’s the difference between the temperature of the outdoor and indoor air that makes you feel cool, not the absolute temperature of the air in your home.
- Install window reflectors – Minimize the greenhouse effect of a hot sun by using light-reflecting window treatments.
- Use ceiling fans – Air that keeps circulating in your home feels cooler; think of a summer breeze). Using ceiling fans let you run your A/C at higher temperatures with no change in comfort. That can save you a bundle during a hot summer.
Want an even better way to save on your energy bills this summer? Install a new high-efficiency cooling system! We’ve got great specials on new systems that will save you money upfront—and help you cut your cooling bills dramatically in the summers that follow. Contact Wilson for a FREE estimate today!