The Autogas Advantage: 7 Reasons to Choose Autogas for your Fleet
Posted: June 3, 2014
Posted: June 4, 2014
Posted by: David O’Connell, President Wilson Oil & Propane
For years, autogas – also known as liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) or propane – has been one of the best-kept secrets in vehicle fuel in North America.
But smart fleet managers are beginning to discover the autogas advantage: from FedEx’s recently-launched fleet of propane-fueled Ford F-59’s to airport shuttles, school buses and hundreds of other applications across the country, more people every day are turning to propane as a clean, green, economical alternative to gas and diesel for their light- and medium duty fleets.
We converted Wilson’s four Ford E-350 vans and one F-150 pickup with equipment from Icom North America (we can do this for you, too – contact us for more details) and haven’t looked back. In the future, we plan to add two more Roush CleanTech-modded Ford Transit Vans to our fleet.
The impact was immediate: fuel bills on our three vehicles have dropped by about $750 a month, and we expect our investment to pay for itself within 18 months or less (to see how much you can save by switching to autogas, try our Fuel Savings Calculator).
Consider us converted.
Need further proof? Consider these 7 benefits of choosing autogas for your fleet:
- It costs less than gasoline. A lot less. At an average of $1.30 per gallon less than gasoline, autogas is the lowest priced alternative fuel available for fleet use. Even when factor in the cost to convert your vehicles, you’ll still be ahead of the game.
- It extends engine life and lowers maintenance costs – With fewer particulates to gum up the works, you’ll spend less on maintenance and even extend the life of your engine.
- It’s readily available – Propane is already produced in natural gas and oil refineries, so no new technology or capital investment is needed for the industry – all you’ll need is access to a fleet-refueling station. Contact us to learn more about having Wilson build one for you, or look here to find an autogas station near you.
- It’s reliable and road tested: More than 17 million cars around the world are using autogas. In fact, it’s the third most common vehicle fuel in the world.
- It’s safe: The Federal government considers propane a safe vehicle fuel, and tanks are 20 times as puncture-resistant as gasoline tanks. And among alternative motor fuels, propane has the lowest flammability range.
- It substantially reduces emissions: Propane is cleaner than gasoline, producing 60 percent less C02 and 12 percent less smog-producing hydrocarbon. Propane can meet or exceed emission levels from other alternative fuels and will easily meet or exceed future emission standards, too.
- It’s made in the USA. More than 90 percent of the US supply of autogas is produced right here at home (with another 7 percent made in Canada) – so every gallon you buy reduces our country’s dependence on foreign oil.
Want to learn more? Contact us or call (888) 607-2621 – and stay tuned for more autogas features in the coming weeks.